Tuesday 29 November 2011

Cornish Farling Biscuits



The wind is howling and it feels very  November grey and miserable outside so I decided to entertain the little lady and make something delicious for the rest of the family after school.  

After making a yummy latte in my favourite Cath cup I was ready to begin cooking with a toddler...





This delicious and super quick and easy recipe was given  to me by my mum.  I have always called these little ginger biscuits "Cornish Farlings" because that is what she wrote at the top of the recipe, however I found out today (thank you google) they are actually known as "Cornish Fairings'.  Fairings being any item bought as a gift at a fair, edible or not.  Anyway history aside I decided to share it with all my lovely blog readers, and keep it as a handy reference to save me having to hunt for it in the future.

Find a helpful little girl and give her a bowl.

You will need these ingredients:

4oz Butter (but I always use marg)
1 tablespoon Golden Syrup
6oz Self Raising Flour 
Pinch of Bicarb of Soda
1 teaspoon of Ground Ginger
3 oz Caster Sugar 

(I always double or quadruple the amount but I  do have  lots of hungry children to feed!)


1. Heat marg and syrup in a pan over a low heat

Starts like this...













Looks like this very quickly




















2.Stir in sieved (I never bother) flour, bicarb, ginger & sugar  - Mix well


It looks a bit like this
3. Make small or large balls of mixture (keep to the same for each otherwise they don't cook well) and place on a greased baking tray.

4. Bake for around 10 minutes (until golden in colour) at 200 C or gas mark 5


5. Leave on a tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack 



Then return to your lovely cup of something delicious, feeling like a wonderful mother whilst trying not to eat them all!











Not forgetting the small child who needs a reward for all their 'help'.





What is your favourite biscuit recipe?  

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am going to try these - and all ingredients I generally have onhand at home! Yum!
    My favourite recipe is one my mum used to make when I was little - unfortunately, my own littlies don't fancy them all that much so I rarely make them anymore!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yummy, we had Cornish Fairings the other day. I've never been mad about them actually but dunked in tea .. that's another matter!!
    Happy weekend to you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellooooo! I found you via Frugal Queen's blog! I love these biscuits and will try out your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just come across this as looking for a recipe my mum used to make, Cornish Farlings, not Fairings! I'm assuming maybe was known as a different name years ago maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, they really do brighten my day!